Places of Worship in vizag
Sri Venkateswara Hills
The hill on the south of the line of three hills, called Sri Venkateswara Konda has a temple dedicated to Lord Venkateswara. It is believed to have been built by a European Captain Blackmoor in 1866, according to the Telugu inscriptions. This temple has a small steep pyramid shaped entrance to the gopura. The port channel, the entrance of the inner harbour for ships and liners can be seen from here.
The Kali Temple located on Rama Krishna Beach road is a modern architectural edifice built on the model of the skeletal structure of a coral using bamboo reinforced cement concrete. Constructed in 1984, this shrine of the goddess of power (Shakti) is famous for its splendid architecture depicting tall pillars, arches and minarets. The temple complex houses an office, a quarter for the priest and a temple kitchen.
Adjacent to the Kali temple, there is another temple dedicated to Lord Siva. The uniqueness of the Siva Temple is its 'rasalinga' which is made of 10 Kg. single stone.
Vizag city's main shopping centres are located in the Dwaraka Nagar - RTC Complex area and Jagadamda Junction area. Tourists interested for handicrafts, wall hangings, or wooden toys can head for the government-run Lepakshi or the Eastern Art Museum.
Darga Konda, the north hillock of the line of three hills has a mosque and the mausoleum of the Muslim saint, Baba Ishaq Madina who was revered for his prophecies. It is visited and venerated by Hindu and Muslim devotees alike.
The Hindu pilgrim centre, Simhachalam with enchanting natural beauty is situated about 16 km from Visakhapatnam. The 11th century temple dedicated to Sri Varaha Narasimha (man lion incarnation of Lord Vishnu) is situated at the top of the Simhachalam range of hills popularly called the 'Hill of the Lion Lord'. The temple built by King Sri Krishna Devaraya is a marvel of architecture with a square shrine surmounted on a high tower, a portico in front with a small tower, a beautifully-carved l6-pillared Natya mantapa facing the portico and an enclosed verandah, all made of dark granite.
The shrine has inscriptions on its walls dating back to 1098 AD. Here, the idol of the presiding deity is always kept covered with sandal paste giving the appearance of a sandalwood Shiva Linga. The actual form of the deity in the tribhanga posture (i.e two hands with the head of a lion on a human torso) can be viewed only during the 'Chandanotsavam' which is also known as 'Chandana Yatra' festival held in March- April, every year which attracts thousands of devotees from all over the country. Other festivals celebrated here are the Kalyanam of Varaha Lakshminarasimha (March-April) and Visakha Poornima (May).